Sunday, May 2, 2010

Review~Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev


Synopsis:
Enter Stage Right
BEATRICE SHAKESPEARE SMITH (BERTIE): Our heroine.
NATE: A dashing pirate who will do anything to protect Bertie.
COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARDSEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM: Four tiny, mischievous fairies and Bertie's loyal sidekicks.
ARIEL: A seductive air spirit. Disaster follwos in his wake, but Bertie simply cannot resist him.
Welcome to the Theatre Illuminata, where the characters of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. The actors are bound to the Theatre by The Book, an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of the actors, but they are her family. And sh is about to lose them all because The Book has been threatened, and along with it the Theatre. It's the only home Bertie has ever known, and she has to find a way to save it. But first, ther's the small problem of two handsome men, both vying for her attention. The course of true love never did run smooth...
Review:
Eyes Like Stars is the Theatre Illuminata Act One by Lisa Mantchev. Lisa Mantchev has created an amazing work of art full of humour, mystery, drama, and romance; in total it was a cunning piece of craftmanship. Mantchv's novel has held me captive from the first glance at the cover, and once I flipped through the pages...well from there, there was definately no turning back. Mantchev brings a new twist on the life of an actor, the romance of the theatre, the perils brought on by a show. She lets us get to know her characters; their sorrow, passion, pain, love, fear. She keeps us turning the pages until the pages can be turned no more.
This story follows the life and lov eof Beatrice Shakespeare Smith, better known as Bertie. Our seventeen year old heroine's life, from a young age, has been spent in the walls of the theatre, she was raised within it's nooks and crannies, and it is her home. But incidences have occured and her privilege to stay within it has been denied. The only way to stay is to make herself an invaluable contribution, and not a nuisance. Bertie decides to take up the challange to stay with her family and friends, instead of trekking into the world outside the entrance. While protecting the theatre she lets Ariel change that, and he threatens her hoome. Nate's protection leads to his own disappearance. Her sidekicks help her cope through it all. And Bertie, she now has the mystery to the identities of her parents, and she's willing to try anything to find the answers.
Mantchev's Eyes Like Stars has opened my eyes to broader horizons, to the life of the theatre, she's faced me with the challenge of holding back all the many smiles that came with the book. She's brought tears of joy to my eyes, and has brought my life constant laughter. Being an actress myself, this book has made me appreciate my threatre and theatre family as it is, and has made my whole acting experience one filled with more joy...and many more book refrences.
Overall Outlook On The Book: Great, Could Use A little more, but still amazing...4.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Hi ^_^ very nice review. This book is on my TBR but the style has prevented me from buying it and reading it already. Still I will read this one day, one can only resist the cover for so long.

    Have you gotten to read Perchance to Dream yet?

    Also in your review this line:

    She's brought me joy and laughter, tears of joy, and has brought my life constant laughter.

    may need a bit of editing I thought I had read the line twice when I read laughter again.

    -Sandy-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy. I haven't read Perchance to Dream yet...but I'm dreaming of the day.
    *Alia

    ReplyDelete